Re: [NTLK] Some Observations

From: Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 10:14:35 EST

I've previously done repairs on this kind of ribbon cable before - when
fixing a sparcbook pointer.. it's a huge pain in the ass to do it, but
it's possible. You can check out www.sunder.net/sparcbook for the
pictures of the sparcbook stuff, etc...

Basically, if the break is inside the cable, the connectors will look fine
on both ends. In this case, you can cut the cable at both ends, leaving a
couple of inches on each side, then using an xacto knife (for those that
have never seen one, it's a very sharp razor blade at an angle attached to
a pen handle.)

You can then very carefully shave the plastic off the cut ends until you
expose the conductor. I have to stress carefully, and "leave a couple of
inches" again here. Once the conductor is exposed, you can solder it back
to a thin wire, but you should cover it with something to isolate
it. i.e. scotch tape, or hot melt glue, etc. I opted for hot melt glue
because it's solid and less likely to break, but the Newton has much less
room than a sparcbook, so YMMV.

Keep in mind, these flex cables are very fragile, so handle them gently.

If an end connector looks cracked, this is due to flexing stress, so you
might be able to fix it by reflowing solder, but watch the temperature,
because you can easily melt the plastic, and then it won't fit in the slot
anymore... maybe you can just drop a bit of solder on the crack and smooth
it out with a light touch...

 + ^ + :NSA got $20Bil/year |Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/ :and didn't stop 9-11|share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:Instead of rewarding|monitor, or under your keyboard, you \/|\/
  /|\ :their failures, we |don't email them, or put them on a web \|/
 + v + :should get refunds! |site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_@_sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html