Re: [NTLK] OT : Sharp Announces new version of Linux Handheld

From: Jonathan Ramos (imagraphicstudios_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 02:42:21 EST

> Hi Guys,

You're talking about the new Zaurus SL-5600 which is just an improved, faster version of the current 5500. At CEATEC 2002, when they announced the 5600, they also realesed a
stripped down version, the SL-A300.

But the cool news is that they showed of this new little beauty, the SL-C700. It's only slightly larger than the current Zaurus, at about 8.5 cm X 12 cm (approx. 3.75 in X 4.75
in), and using the same screen size. With a form factor resembling the new convertible hybrid tablet PC's that are nothing more than a laptop with a rotating screen, but at the
size of a PDA, this is the future of handheld computing that I like very much. I'm just not too wild about the Linux OS. Also there are currently no plans to release this to the
USA.

Sharp Japan press release
http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/news/021112-1.html

Story about the new Zaurus SL-C700 in english
http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=2401
http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2593.html

In depth article in Japanese
http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/01sharp.html

Use AltaVista to translate to the appropriate language
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Just the pics
http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/news/slc700.gif

http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/01.jpg

http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/02.jpg

http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/03.jpg

http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/04.jpg

http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/05.jpg

http://www.mobilenews.ne.jp/news/2002/10/01/ceatec/06.jpg

If I ever get over my hang up over Linux, I might get this. If it doesn't get released here, I know that there'll be some gadget geeks waiting for Dynamism.com to convert and
import this for us Americans.

Later,
Jonathan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html