Re: [NTLK] Newton Linux...

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 14:34:17 EST

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 05:49 AM, Will Leingang wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for finding this... Unfortunatly as you said, it hasn't been
> updated
> in years. Considering this, I decided a few months ago to start some
> discussion and see what the interest might be in actually persuing a
> Newt
> linux port. There were mixed comments, but all in all, there was enough
> support that I decided it would be "worth a shot" at getting linux
> ported to
> the Newt.

<snip>
No, you have it backwards. Personally I think the idea of Linux on
Newton is silly. It's too large, and it is a command line system. It
basically is NOT newton software. Although I can imagine a few nice
uses like ssh and such in general I think such a project would be a
waste of time.

On the other hand.... An open source Newton clone could be very
interesting. This would potentially allow the continuation of Newton
OS look and feel into the future.

That sharp linux thing that I didn't even look at :~) might become
interesting if you could run a Newton clone on top of it.

That crazy guy with the iBook tablet also might have a better option
for OS.

I do think it would be VERY difficult to recreate the handwriting
recognition, which is clearly a key to the Newton experience.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html