Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #779

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 19:31:47 EST

Actually, a stripped-down version of Linux running in an optional
terminal widow (ala OSX) would be quite helpful for the following
activities:

1. Soup editing
2. Porting a *real* web browser
3. SSH
4. Better OSX/Linux/UNIX connectivity
5. If done well enough, could replace NIE, which everyone knows is
inadequate

In general, it would open up the Newton to a whole new venue of
compatible software and improve network functionality.

Admittedly a command line generally not a good idea on a pen-based
system, but I'm sure common commands like ls/cp/telnet/ftp and so on
could be reduced to single-line gestures by making some kind of
handwriting system modification like gesture launch, where a square
could start SSH and open a dialog box to select a place to connect to,
an upward stroke as an equivalent to the up-arrow to cycle through
previous commands and so on. It would take a while to memorize the
gestures (and admittedly there are way too many commands to each have a
gesture) but I think a slick pen-based command line interface is
possible.

Just my $.02

-Animal

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html