Re: [NTLK] OT It's all good.... Not

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 20:22:14 EST

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 02:43 PM, Sunder wrote:

> Besides this, have you actually opened up a Mac and taken a look at the
> chips and other components?
I've been opening thousands of 'em since 1984.
> Not all of them say (C) Apple on them. Sure,
> the motherboard does, as do the ROMs, but who made that hard drive?
> Might
> be Apple branded, but apple doesn't have a hard drive plant; who made
> the
> video chip? nVidia? ATI?
Yeah, but not S3 and permedia, and 3DFX, and .....
> Who made the keyboard? Who made the power
> supply? Who made the capacitors in the power supply?

That's kind of silly, I never said they made every component. Yet if
you look at how many different type of video chips have shipped with
the mac, you get a very good idea how much more "monolithic" the Mac's
hardware is compared to windows hardware.

And your point about third party's blaming microsoft and visa versa is
exactly on the money. When it's apple harware, for 9 out of ten
customers(who don't add any third party hardware), there is NO ONE else
for Apple to point at.

> There's plenty of room for things to slip by QA, even for stuff with
> the
> fruit on the cover. Ditto for Sun, Compaq and everyone else out there.

Absolutely true, as witnessed by the original mac 128k power supply
(Astec), which was under-speced and hence I repaired buckets of 'em...
But this is not the point at all.

I am not saying Apple's hardware is perfect, just that it is much more
homogeneous then windows hardware, hence providing a more uniform (if
not constrained) software environment.

Apple has ALWAYS been aware that personal computing, including the
Newton really it about software and Ease of use. Delivering a useable
system to the customer is more important then any technical aspect (ie
64 bits).

They are not focused on selling the OS to 5000 OEM's (don't forget the
white box builders).

They are responsible if the SW doesn't work or even if the Power supply
is crap. Microsoft is not responsible for anything, read your license
agreement.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html