Re: [NTLK] Trashing prefs

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 03:47:02 EST

I really do not know what would be the point of trashing ALL prefs at once.
If one application does not work properly, it would be sufficient to delete
the prefs of THAT particular program.
And since the Mac OS is so well organised that even the dumbest would find
the suspect preference (in the prefs folder or just use Sherlock)this is
really no problem.
And even to sort out the extensions is an easy task using the extension
mangager, which gives information on most of the extensions and which gives
you the opportunity to save and recall any configuration you might want.

Think about searching the thousands of footprints every program installation
leaves in WinDoze. Imagine digging in the ENDLESS GROWING windows
registry...
Without having a good tracing tool installed and running before any new
program installation you have simply not the SLIGHTEST chance to uninstall a
Windows program PROPERLY (I mean completely).

Just my 2 cents.

Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html