[NTLK] REPOST: Wireless

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 09:53:58 EST

Okay, it probably wasn't anything I said ;-) but I never received any reply
to this posting the first time, and I'm really curious how the wireless
communication runs on the Newt. Here's the repost:

--- begin ---

Some ways to communicate using a Newt and PC cards:

     1) by modem, via phone cord from the wall to the Newt
     2) ethernet, via cat5 or whatever from the Newt to the RJ45 socket
     3) wireless ethernet, via 802.11 from the wireless card to a base
station
     4) cellular modem, via (?) (packet?)
     5) others?

For item (4), is it a constant connection, always up, or do you dial in, log
in, retrieve and send your email, and then logout? Contrast this with
Blueberry-type devices which are always-on, capable of sending and receiving
at any time. Is that what you're able to do with (4)?

What do they call that type of always-on connection that Blueberry devices
use to communicate?

Thanks,

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html