Re: [NTLK] Why did the Newton fail?

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 18:03:15 EST

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Brian Pearce wrote:

> The poor reputation of the Newton's HR, deserved or not, is *that*
> persistent.

I'm confused about why Newton Inc. was claimed by the press to be losing
so much money that it was on unstable ground (regardless of the
sensationalism normally thrown at anything Apple). From what I've read,
they had some great contract deals ahead of them with education and were
provided the basic necessities by Apple. I remember how lukewarm the
Newton was to the public in 97/98, but I can't see Newton Inc. as having
folded if Apple hadn't re-aquring them.

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html