Re: [NTLK] Custom QFWorks functions?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 20:54:09 EST

on 15/11/02 18:33, Aaron Jon Reichow at reichowa_at_tcfreenet.org wrote:

> I somewhat know how to code for the Newton, but most of my experience is
> with Smalltalk. NewtonScript and consequently the NewtonOS being such
> dynamic and extensible systems, I was wondering something...
>
> Is it possible to modify an app for which you haven't the source on the
> Newton, using ViewFrame or the likes? Specifically, I'd like to modify
> QuickFigure Works, adding functions to the spreadsheet. I already know
> about the "FUNC(X) <body>" function, but I would like to define custom
> functions for the spreadsheet in NewtonScript, expanding the spreadsheet
> to be kind of a grid-based development environment. It would be great to
> have the full power of the NS system in such an environment.
>
> Is this possible or just a pipe dream?

It is certainly possible. Due to its highly dynamic nature, NewtonScript and
more specifically NewtonScript objects, being object-oriented, can be
extended or augmented. With a tool like ViewFrame, you just have to poke
around until you have the desired information. To make those changes
permanent, you then create an extension which will replace some of the
default behavior. There is a lot of examples right now on the Newton. I
mean, examples of that patching behavior, maybe not that many examples on
how to do it. But if you take the time, it's certainly possible.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

case and paste n.: [from `cut and paste'] 1. The addition of a new feature to an existing system by selecting the code from an existing feature and pasting it in with minor changes. Common in telephony circles because most operations in a telephone switch are selected using case statements. Leads to software bloat.