Re: [NTLK] searching within notes gripe...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 23:11:01 EST

on 15/11/02 23:00, sopha at sophalicus_at_charter.net wrote:

> hello all,
>
> the other day i was doing some comparison grocery shopping w/ the newt and
> inputing dollar amounts for various items.
>
> as it went, my lists' order didn't correspond with how the grocery store was
> laid out (ugh), so i spent quite a bit of time scrolling through this list
> for items as i remembered them when i came to a particular section...ok,
> this was a bit tedious, but it was fine until i got down to maybe the last
> 10 items on the list. this list had grown to around 6 pages of text, and ugh
> i hadn't done any sort of formating to aid in telling things apart, nor had
> i made an actuall checklist of the list, it was just a note.
>
> anyhow, i get a bright idea...i'll just "find" words within the note...sure,
> i do that all the time on pc's....i hit find on the newt, not seeing a "find
> in file" i search in notes, ok...it finds what i'm looking for, click on
> it...and gee i'm at the very top of the list....great!
>
> so yah, my question is...is it possible to search within a file or selected
> text for a word or even words and have the insertion point placed at the
> found word or words? possibly i'm missing this feature in the newt itself,
> but i can find no reference of being able to do this in the manual.
> perchance there is a system enhancement that addresses this issue or even a
> seperate search program?

Without any custom tool, I don't think that, by default, you can do that.
The find just open a list of found items, and when you tap an item, it just
opens that item. I don't think it selects or place any text anywhere.

<shameless plug>
But, if you're so much dedicated to your grocery shopping, you might want to
have a look at NewtGrocery which I wrote. It lets you design the various
sections of the store, and with 2 levels of sorting, you can pretty much
order the items in the order you will find them in the specific store. Look
at the URL in my sig for details.
</shameless plug>

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

card walloper n.: An EDP programmer who grinds out batch programs that do stupid things like print people's paychecks. Compare code grinder. See also punched card, eighty-column mind.