Re: [NTLK] Connecting to a 10/100 M router

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 23:34:16 EST

on 2002/11/14 6:27 PM, Daniel Padilla at dproldan_at_telefonica.net wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I just got a DSL line at home. It came with a modem/router that allows 10
> or 100 Mbps connections. It seems that the newt doesn't like this, the
> ethernet card dongle's led flashes a second but it doesn't connect.
> I've been able to connect to other 10 Mbps routers and i've tried DHCP and
> manual configs. My card is a 3com 589E.
> Does anybody knows if this is a common problem? is there any workaround?
>
> TIA
>
> Daniel Padilla

Hi Daniel,

I don't have any technical understanding of this stuff, but I believe it
should be possible for your setup to work, because I have almost the same
setup. I'm using a 10/100 router/switch connected to a DSL modem, with a
3com 3CXE589ET card in the Newton (which I assume must be the same as your
card, or at least the same chipset, because it uses the 589E driver). This
setup works fine with DHCP.

Please excuse me if this is elementary, but ... have you confirmed that your
router setup is working (maybe by trying it with any TCP/IP clients other
than the Newton)? If your ISP is using PPPoE, do you have your router
configured for that? Most of the DSL providers in North America are using
PPPoE, and most routers now can handle that internally (which is a good
thing, because I don't think there is any PPPoE client for Newton).

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html