Re: [NTLK] Corrupt Object (-48005 error) - how to fix?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 01:10:06 EST

on 16/11/02 00:06, Michael Blazer at m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca wrote:

> on 2002/11/02 2:44 AM, Michael Blazer at m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca wrote:
>
>> Today, after importing several large RTF files (in the 200-550K range) into
>> Newton Works on a 4MB card, after one such import I started getting a -48005
>> error, which I looked up and it means something like "corrupted object, can't
>> recover". Works will no longer launch unless I remove the 4MB card with all
>> the big documents on it. So I assume that the last RTF file I imported got
>> corrupted somehow.
>
> My efforts to load big RTFs into Newton Works are still stuck. Since
> posting the above, I tried to fix the corrupt NW soup with SBM utilities.
> No dice. I then erased the card and started all over.
>
> I've tried it with different flash cards, I've tried it with both the Mac
> and Windows versions of NCU, and I've even tried it on two different
> Newtons. The only RTF file I have imported successfully is about 80K (i.e.
> the smallest one I've tried). Importing anything bigger results in a -48005
> error and consequent freeze of Newton Works until I remove the card. The
> import process itself seems to proceed normally, but then the error occurs
> as soon as I tap the overview button in Works to try to display the new file
> I just imported.
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong here? Does Works have a maximum file size?
> Has anyone done this successfully? Should I give up and use Newton Press
> instead?
>
> Michael

Is this on a 2000 or 2100? How much heap do you have before trying to load
those RTFs?

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

field servoid [play on `android'] /fee'ld ser'voyd/ n.: Representative of a field service organization (see field circus). This has many of the implications of droid.