Re: [NTLK] About the ser-001

From: John M. Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 18:10:54 EST

Another note about the SER-001. Actually, this is more about PCBman
(a.k.a. David Humphreys). Those of us that have one already know how
incredible it is not having to deal with the dongle. If you haven't
bought one for your 2x00 yet, well... what can I say. Do what you must.

As for PCBman... I had purchased mine back in June 2001. Wonderful
addition to my Newton. A few months ago it started acting odd. I had
just upgraded to WinXP Pro and figured it was a problem with
compatibility. No big deal. I had Ethernet. Zoom zoom. In walks a
problem. I lost my software (storage intact, but no programs... long
story). And I can't connect to my SER-001. In fact, upon inserting my
cable, the board pushes INSIDE MY NEWTON. ARG!!! Seems the header had
come disconnected from the board (SER-001). Hmm...

Ok... June 2001 is well out of any warranty period I would have
expected. I emailed David asking what repair or trade offers he might
consider. David's response? And I quote... "I support my products 100%
and so I have decided to send you a replacement for *FREE*. That's
right! Absolutely free!" He even tried to call me where I used to live
to verify my address. Amazing service. I've since gotten the
replacement, and am most grateful.

I hope there is still one available when I pick up a spare Newton soon.
It has been a great addition to my Newton 2100. I can't wait to see what
else he might come up with too.

Thanks again David.

John Powell

PS Use the provided mounting screws. I had purchased mine when it first
came out. Screws were sent later and I never thought to put them in.
Don't make my mistake. ;o)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html