Re: [NTLK] Microsoft Tablet PC's designer

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 05:40:00 EST

b e n w e l l s|headwerkx <headwerkx_at_iprimus.com.au> wrote:

>> Apple didn't 'steal' anything. They *paid* Xerox $1 million in
stock
>> (before the IPO) for the privilege of two afternoon visits to Xerox
>> PARC's facilities.
>>
>> When Apple went public, that $1 million in stock became $17.6
million
>> within a year.
>
> And thus why you don't hear Xerox whining about how Apple stole
their GUI.

Actually, I do recall reading of an attempt by Xerox to sue Apple some
time back. They got slapped down, IIRC.

> One can't help but wonder what the world would be like if the courts
slammed
> Microsoft's butt in 1985 and Apple didn't sign that dodgy
agreement....

Blame Apple's lawyers at the time for not reading between the lines of
the fine print on that "Look and Feel" agreement (Apple intended
Microsoft to use the Mac Look 'n' Feel in Macintosh applications --
not in a competing OS). They learned their lesson on that one, I'm
sure ...!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html