[NTLK] Wireless Log-in possibilities

From: Shin Yoo (ntrolls_at_xinics.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 22:35:50 EST

First of all, my apologies for messing up the list twice in a row yesterday. I didn't know that Outlook MIME problem... This post is from my Newton ;)

Now my original post : is there any way to use wireless networks which require user log-in? Local Starbucks has a public network, but it requires (an also public) id/password. PCs can log-in using EAP-MD5 authentification.

I personally e-mailed Noguchi, and he kindly replied that he has no plan supporting user authentification since implementing EAP-MD5 might be a very hard job.

Now I remember reading about MD5 encryption regarding APOP and SimpleMail, so if I guessed right, EAP-MD5 is some kind of authenfitication using MD5 encryption, then we already have the encryption available, right? If the wavelan driver itself cannot support authentification, is there any way to make some kind of enabler(?) or a connection utility to log-in to those networks? That woyld be cool. Would it be possible? How hard it will be?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html