Re: [NTLK] Jaguar killed Classic AirPort AppleTalk?

From: Troy V. Barkmeier (machead_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 17:32:43 EST

Looks like I found something like an answer to my own question on the
NTLK archive. The workaround that Anton described in his earlier posting
(which I've reproduced below) _does_ "fix" my problem with NCU/Classic/
Jaguar/AirPort/Software Base Station. The crappy thing is that if you
leave NCU/NBU open and stop using the connection for around five minutes
or so, AppleTalk shuts itself off again, and if you try to reconnect your
Newt after that, there's a 99% chance that Classic will lock up and need
a Force Quit to get back up and running.

So, here's my version of Anton's workaround for those Jaguar users
wanting to do NCU/NBU over a direct Computer to Computer (Mac to Newt,
with no other AirPort intermediaries) wireless AppleTalk connection (whew!):

1) This workaround assumes that you have already set the OS X System
Preferences Network control panel to Make AppleTalk active over AirPort,
that you've created a Computer to Computer network using "Create Network"
from the AirPort status menu, and that you have Hiroshi's driver on the
Newt set to connect to that created network and to "Use card for AppleTalk".
2) Open the Dock application on your Newton.
3) Under the "Connect to" pop-up, choose "Other computer"
4) Once it says "Looking for other Mac OS computers...", it has started
to "talk" with your Mac's AirPort card, and you can go ahead and launch
NCU/NBU on your Mac.
5) There may be a short delay while AppleTalk wakes up (and NCU/NBU may
still even complain), but your Mac should eventually show up on the Newt.
If it does, you're in business. If it doesn't, close everything and start
over at step #2.
6) Once you have done your backup, installed your package, or whatever
else you were doing, be sure to _quit completely_ out of NCU/NBU on your
Mac. If you forget to do this, and you accidentally try to Dock again
after a few minutes of inactivity, you _will_ lock up your Classic.

I'm still planning to report this to Apple, as I can see no earthly
reason why Classic should have to see continuous Ethernet/AirPort
"traffic" in order to make AppleTalk active (and keep it active) on that
port. I have tested this on two separate 'books (one "i" and one "Ti")
with the same results.

Based on some responses that came through NTLK just now, it appears that
this only affects those who are using their Mac's AirPort as a software
base station for their Newts (ie., the only two AirPort devices in the
equation are the card in your Mac and the card in your Newt). If your Mac
and/or Newt are connecting via AirPort to a real base station, the base
station probably does enough constant AppleTalk polling that Classic will
always see "traffic" and therefore NCU/NBU will have no problems. I'll
admit that I'm just guessing on this last bit, as I don't have a real
hardware base station to test with.

TVB

P.S. Thanks for the responses so far! Anyone else who isn't using an
actual base station that can confirm my results?

Under the thread "[NTLK] Jaguar, Appletalk, Classic and crossover cable"

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html