[NTLK] Operating hum/whine?

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 20:56:43 EST

Hi,

I was curious if other people have experienced this, and if it could be a bad omen. My beloved 120 has a high pitched hum or whine (remember, there's no EL backlighting on a 120, so it's not that), that toggles on and off as the Newt goes between being idle and under CPU load. I can't hear it when it's busy (for example figuring out a chess move). When the Newt is idle, it hums/whines constantly, with occasional blips of silence.

I've heard this before on other things (it's something I'm pretty sensitive to, for some reason - I can walk into any room, and tell you almost immediately if a monitor or TV is on, even if the screen is black...I've even heard a similar pulsating whine when holding down a key on a keyboard, emenating from the motherboard of the PC underneath the desk), so I assume it's not all that serious, but I was curious if anyone else has ever noticed something like this, and if it's benign in Newts.

Thanks,
Scott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html