Re: [NTLK] Did RadioShack Sell Newtons?

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 03:40:34 EST

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1940201730
>
> Did RadioShack sell Newtons? This is the first I've heard of it ...
> but admittedly, the fellow selling it doesn't know much about Newtons.

If I recall correctly (from reading PILOTING PALM), the "Zoomer" was
the product that preceeded the original Palm Pilot. From
<http://www.geocities.com/firstspeaker.geo/books/nonfiction/
piloting_palm.html>

"Palm's first product was the Zoomer, which was to be marked by Tandy
and Casio. This was to a turning point in Jeff [Hawkins]'s career for
the final design decisions on the Zoomer was being made by a committee
of mostly Tandy and Casio executives who did not share the same
opinions as Jeff. They believed that 'more is better' and insisted that
many options be included in the Zoomer, putting aside considerations
like whether the option was useful or not. From the Zoomer experience,
Jeff, Donna [Dubinsky] and Palm was to come up with the 'Zen of Palm';
less is better."

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html