Re: [NTLK] Speaking about alt...rec

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 11:58:51 EST

À (At) 8:36 -0500 25/11/02, Victor Rehorst écrivait (wrote) :
>Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> > Since its location is known, does anybody by chance know of a way to
>> increase the number of words the personal word list can handle?
><snip>
>> Anybody know how to help with this?
>
>This is one of the features of alt.rec... - it will allow you to add many more
>words to the personal word list.
>
>http://www.kallisys.com/newton/alt.rec..../

Does it?

Weird. I recall vague hacking 4/5 years ago of the word list, but
things ended badly in the end. Umm.

Actually, I hacked the macros list, but this is bad. alt.rec....
handles its own macros list.
But the personal word list can easily be increased beyond the 1000
limit, if not with alt.rec...., I think that DictMgr can let you do
that. At least, it can let you dump the user dictionary once it is
full to another list and let you continue with an empty user
dictionary. These are hacks I created at the very beginning of my
Newton experience because I was writing words in French on a US
NewtonOS.

You have to make sure that the word list doesn't grow too large.
- DictMgr dictionaries are held in C++ heap. You cannot make changes
to them dynamically (i.e. when the recognizer finds a new word, it
won't add it to these lists).
- User dictionary (in fact, there is the AutoAdd dictionary and the
User Dictionary) is held in C++ heap and in NS Heap whenever you make
changes to it.
- Package Dictionaries are held in packages and they're not loaded
except by the virtual memory. It's the best way to have custom
dictionaries.
- ROM Dictionaries are just in ROM and they don't use any RAM.

DictMgr needs to be updated. The best are dictionary packages but the
main issue is that to build one you need to:
- transfer data from NewtonScript world to the C++ heap
- transfer data back somehow. NewtonOS GetDictionaryData method will
create the data in the NS Heap and for large dictionaries, it is not
possible. I've created the packages using the low-level debugger, but
it takes eons and it sometimes crashes/fails.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/