Re: [NTLK] On the edge of ethernet

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 12:03:26 EST

As it just so happens, I have the exact same card and set it up two days
ago.
Card: 3C589C
Dongle: 3C-PC-COMBO-CBL

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 12:45 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:
> From: David Busey <im-wired_at_attbi.com>
> Having some trouble getting connected though. I've read various
> ethernet
> 'how to' articles I found references to while browsing the archives.
> Hardware: Newt 2100 w. 3Com Etherlink III
> According to...
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB2c
> ...the ethernet PC card I have is doable: The model printed on the card
> says, "3Com 3C589C".
> Software I have installed (listed in sequence of installation):
> -NIE 2.0
> Internet setup
> Newton Internet Enabler
> NIE Localtalk Module
> NIE Ethertalk Module

I have "Newton Devices" in addition to these.

> (Some various drivers that my reading lead me to.)
> -3C589

Is this a separate package from the Farallon driver and 3com patch
below? If so, I didn't need it.

> -Farallon Enet
> -z3ComDrf:clli (a patch for the Farallon driver that is supposed
> to enable use of various 3com cards).
> THE PROBLEM:
> Trouble is, even with both of those drivers installed, my specific card
> does
> not show up in the pop-up (lackin both in Prefs --> Appletalk
> *and* in
> the Internet Setup application).
> Here's the ones that are listed (most of which I've tested without
> success).
> 3Com 3C589 PC Card

This is the one I selected, and it works. I haven't tried anything
except NetHopper yet, but if I will try to test printing to a
Laserwriter soon.

Hope this helps!

-Animal

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html