Re: [NTLK] Sync Newton via Modem

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 00:27:55 EST

on 25/11/02 21:46, Ryan Abel at general_antilles_at_mac.com wrote:

> I have a 2100, I just received my dongle today, but I can't sync with
> my Quicksilver because it has no serial port. I'm purchasing an adapter
> soon, but for the time being I'd like to be able to install packages,
> and sync via modem. I have the Newton Fax Modem. I would just connect
> to the 'net, and download packages, but there is neither a browser or
> an e-mail client installed on the Newton. I have a Performa 400 that I
> could use, but when I load up and burn a CD with the connection
> utilities, and some packages the Performa doesn't see any files on the
> CD *shrug*.

That's because the packages on the CD have lost their file type. You would
need to copy them to your hard disk and then use an utility like "PackType"
(most certainly available on UNNA) and fix the file types of those files.
Then, NCU should see them.

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power. Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO, Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2. [IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.