[NTLK] How to fix an apparently dead 110-120-130 Newton

From: Chris Myers (newtman_at_plumbrook.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 13:15:19 EST

Okay, it has gone far enough when I saw someone recommend opening up the
Newton. I need to speak and maybe this should go on the FAQ (hint FAQ
keepers). I would like to also state I am not the one who came up with
the idea before, I read it on a Newton web site, but this was 2 years
ago so I cannot direct you to the right URL.

The 110-120-130 has a nasty habit of playing completely dead when they
are really not. I found this out several years ago when I sold a bunch
of 130s to people.

There are several types of dead:

1. Just wont turn on dead, which can be solved by pressing the reset
button and holding the power key. Most of the time this is what we all
run into if the battery dies and the Newt will not turn on.

2. The second dead is even worse. The Newton seems like it is totally
dead because the above solution does not work, and will not turn on no
matter how hard you work. But remember it is not dead (see below for
solution).

3. There is completely dead which is caused by a hardware problem, which
no one will help.

Since everyone knows 1, and I cannot help with 3, I will tell you how to
solve 2.

Basically you need to remove any power source, backup battery, AA
batteries, and do not plug it in. Also, be sure to remove any cards.

Get a piece of paper or cardboard and jam the power switch down so it
stays in the on position. Let the Newt sit like this for 2 days. Yes I
know this sounds weird, but trust me. I have not tried it for less than
two days so one day might also work.

The next day, remove the paper from the power switch, hook up a power
adapter and power the baby on. You should hear the startup tone and it
should turn on, and you have solved your problem.

I do not know what causes this but I suspect there might be some
capacitor hooked up to the power manager, which retains some charge even
when all the batteries have drained down. Hey I am not an Electrical
Engineer, but I know the solution above does not work.

If the steps above do not work, then you might have a hardware problem,
which might need an opening. But my experience with these machines leads
me to believe you are just experiencing the seems like completely dead
symptoms, which can be solved.

Good luck.

Newtman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html