[NTLK] Amusing experience

From: Ashley Campbell (awc2_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 13:42:10 EST

Hi all--

Probably like many of you, I was traveling home yesterday to be with
the family for Thanksgiving. After a very stressful dog/luggage
checking and race to the plane, I settled into my seat and pulled out
my Newt to start working up a database schema for a new project. While
I was writing, I noticed that the lady sitting and napping next to me
had a big "Windows Powered PocketPC" or somesuch patch on her backpack.
I happily continued writing. She awoke and I noticed her eyeing my
Newton. Finally she got the nerve up to ask and said, "What operating
system does that run?" I said, "It's a Newton," figuring that that
would explain everything. It didn't, and she asked if it ran PalmOS. I
explained what a Newton is and that Apple discontinued it years ago,
etc., to which she responded "aw, it's an Apple. Does it do handwriting
recognition? I just demoed a Tablet PC for a customer and the
handwriting recognition pretty much works." I smiled and congratulated
her, as I didn't want to risk being rude. She then proceeded to play
Solitaire on her Journada for the rest of the trip while I was getting
work done.

Do y'all have any standard approaches to encounters like that? It'd be
great to have a quick, polite way of saying "look how much better this
ancient technology is than that thing you're using now."

-awc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html