Re: [NTLK] OT: PalmOS-based AlphaSmart Dana

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 16:27:28 EST

On Thursday 28 November 2002 19:12, Stephanie Maks wrote:
> > Not likely. First, you'll get a lot more battery time out of a Dana
> > or an
> > eMate, they're instant-on unlike the Libretto and the Libretto, IMNHO,
> > was
> > junk. I should know I worked on a product that had an OEM version of
> > the
> > libretto in it. Those things we *not* all that terrific.
>
> I couldn't pass that up. I love my Libretto 110CT. I've had it for
> about 3 years or so. For a while it was my main computer (till I
> Switched). I have the dock for it, which I kept at work hooked up to a
> big monitor and keyboard and trackball and 100BaseT ethernet card all in
> the dock, so when I got to work I just dropped in the Libretto and had a
> 'desktop' system. It fits perfectly into my purse, is light,
> convenient. I have RedHat 7.1 on it, and Windoze 95. For a year I did
> all my software development on it in Linux. Granted it's not
> instant-on, but big deal. With 64MB of ram and a 6GB hard drive, it
> rocked. I was very upset when it's battery pack finaly died, till I
> managed to get a new pack on eBay and once more I use my Libretto all
> the time. It's way lighter and more portable than my iBook and with the
> Wavelan card, I can work or surf from the backyard; laying in bed, or
> wherever.
>
> About the only way I can think of to make the Libretto even better,
> would be if it ran Mac OS 9 or X.

If they could do five to eight hours on a battery charge, I'd have bought
one long ago.

One thing the previous poster mentioned seems to be a recurring gripe
among Libretto users: The suspend functions suck; even LGX (linux) APM
can't fix that.

But they are going for silly money on eBay these days; one like yours went
for (IIRC) around USD 400 a little while ago.

--
Jazz.

"Respect my authoritaah!" (Eric Cartman)