[NTLK] SER-001: The future...

From: PCBman (pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 11:29:14 EST

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has purchased my SER-001 board. As you will no doubt be aware, I have sold out. This does not mean the end of production, simply the end of this batch. I said 'that's all folks' because (for those of you who have taken statistics) I am way down on the other side of the distribution curve.

In plain English, while there may be a number of people who want to purchase a board, that number is not enough to support another production run. I have to make hundreds to keep the costs low. I am not about to make 250+ boards for 20 people. No matter where I draw the line, there will always be someone on the other side of it. Of course, if the situation changed dramatically, I would resume production.

I do this in my spare time (ha!). Each project requires an enormous amount of research and development, prototyping etc. etc. This is something that the majority of users don't see, although I am sure there are those of you who can appreciate this.

It is time to develop new products so the SER-001 will have to take a back seat.

I will not release my schematics into the public domain.

Quite apart from any proprietary aspects, they are of little use to anyone who doesn't have a degree (or at least a background) in electronics, the ability to solder SM parts and fabricate PCB's. Yes, there are a number of you out there, but the majority, I would wager, know very little about the subject.

Finally, the idea of a 'development fund' is great when you look at it from 30,000ft but is fraught with all kinds of administrative problems. I, for one, prefer to operate autonomously.
People are most welcome to email me with their suggestions for an enhancement to the Newton family. I read everything. Now your suggestion may not see the light of day for many reasons: cost, need, practicality etc. etc. but it may spawn other ideas and lead to other developments. You see, if I get a lot of email requesting a certain feature, I can make a determination as to its' viability. If only one person requests a 'laser targeting system' then I would have to think (not too hard) about whether it is practical.

Regards,

PCBman
pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com

Webpage: