[NTLK] PC serial cable, AC adaptor for an MP2100

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 00:37:51 EST

Hi all. My first post to this list, so be gentle, please. :)

It has been a traumatic time for me in the last month. My MP120, friend
for over seven years, finally succumbed to what I presume was a chair
leg to the screen. Still goes fine, except as expected the touch screen
doesn't respond to input any more. :(

So to cut a long story short I'm looking for a new Newton. Perhaps a
MP2x00. I understand that a dongle is needed for connecting a serial
cable to the 2x00, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use
my MP120's PC cable? Are they the same? They look like the same cable
in the photos...

Along similar lines, do I need a new AC adaptor as well? I gather the
MP2x00 needs a 1.2A adaptor, whereas my MP120 adaptor is only rated at
0.5A. Trouble is I don't know if I'll be able to find a 240V adaptor
for the 2x00 anywhere. They certainly haven't shown up anywhere I've
searched so far.

I'm looking around for an MP2x00 as well. I've been watching eBay, and
browsing the web sites of GEM Enterprises and J&K Sales. eBay is
depressingly expensive at this time of year it seems. Does anyone have
any suggestions as to which might be my best option here?

Thanks in advance,
Julian.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html