[NTLK] "It's Alive ... Alive!" (Well, Sort Of).

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 04:31:41 EST

Subject line says it all --! I have managed to resurrect my dead MP
120 *and* 130.

I used the 130 as a reluctant test subject and followed (more or less)
the instructions posted on the list about taking all the batteries out
and leaving the switch closed thanks to a piece of cardboard.

Didn't take out the backup battery, but I did take out the main
battery and left the switch closed for a couple days.

Took the batteries out of the still-dead 120, put them into the 130,
and plugged in my RadioShack Special adapter . Tried to turn it on:
no joy.

I also remembered someone saying something about flipping the power
switch several times, so I tried that: still nothing.

Took the battery cover off, held the reset button down, and repeated
the 'flip the switch a lot' trick -- and I heard a strange sound
coming from the 130.

I turned it over, and EUREKA!! It was in Diagnostic mode. Ran a few
tests, and everything seemed okay, so I pushed the 'Launch OS' button.

Instead of starting the Newton's OS, it started the diagnostic again.
:o\

I adjusted the power slider up from 3 volts to 5, and tried to power
it up again: EUREKA (not to sound like a broken record or anything)!
It worked. I'd like to say that all of my data was still present, but
this unit was new to me, so I hadn't actually installed anything.

I loaded a couple of packages on it (Newt's Battery, Nick's Testit),
and checked to see what Newt's Battery said about it ("It's dead,
Jim.").

Pleased with my success, I tried the same thing with the 120 (less
the two-days-without-power-and-prop-the-switch-closed bit). Again I
got the diagnostic, and again it powered up fine after leaving
diagnostic mode ... and all of my data was still present! :o)

So ... looks like I'll need to rebuild the battery pack for the 130,
and get another for the 120 ... and then my nephew will have the 120,
and my ex will (may; still thinking of getting her an upgraded 2000)
get the 130.

A nice success story .....

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html