Re: [NTLK] Proof of Robin being Katarina

From: John M. Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 10:34:20 EST

> "equal IPs means same computer" theory just ain't necessarily
> so. AFAIK, no Comcast user is *guaranteed* to get the same
> IP every time they reset or turn off their cable modem. *IF*
> the first person turned off their cable modem for any length
> of time, the IP number could've been freed up and recycled to
> someone else (namely Katarina).

Having been a cable modem user for quite some time (in two different
states), and having 'shopped' for usage elsewhere, that too is my
experience. The 'norm' seems to be cable internet providers don't
offer a static IP address in the regular package. Most will offer
it as an additional service, usually as a 'business' package.
But that isn't guaranteed proof. Personally, my IP address usually
changes every couple months or so. And was that the up address of
the sending computer, or their mail server? Having not seen the full
mail header I don't know for sure. I'm no expert on the subject, but
having been a web designer/developer for more than a couple years now,
the only real reason I can think why someone would truly need a static
IP address is if you are hosting your own web and/or email server
(whether for gaming or business purposes). And with DNS service
options, you don't even HAVE to do that anymore. As GEM is hosted by
http://www.readyhosting.com/, there's no legitimate reason why they'd
need it. Doesn't mean they don't have it, but...

John Powell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html