[NTLK] 110-130 stylus availability, and a question

From: Christopher Fisher (cfisher_at_mailbag.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 14:59:01 EST

Greetings, all!

Well, the occasional Ferdi/Katarina (or is it Robin?) flame war has been
good for a few chuckles, but I have an actual Newt-related comment and
question for the list.

As to the comment, it is about the availabilty of 110-130 styluses through
Apple. My local reseller (who I bought my Mac from in '97, and who has been
in business since the 80's) tried like hell to find me a replacement stylus,
including through Apple. He tried several different things with them to see
if maybe *somewhere* they had one left, and came up with bubkes. Now maybe
someone else might have different luck, but this guy has a pretty good
record of scrounging up NOS Apple stuff. This is just an FYI to the list,
not necessarily "gospel".

I did finally manage to find a stylus on e-Bay, though. Cost me 18.75 plus
postage. I just got it yesterday, and interesting thing is that the barrel
seems to be made of a different plastic than the one that came with my Newt
(also bought on e-Bay). My Newt was manufactured in '95 from what I can
tell, while the stylus appears (again, as far as I can tell) to be from a
year earlier. The plastic is a darker color (more like matte black, as
opposed to a very dark grey for the one that came with the Newt), and it has
a heavier feel to it than the barrel of the one that came with the Newt.
Perhaps the plastic is of a better, more solid quality. Nonetheless, I'm
taking no chances-I'm going to make for darn sure that it never takes a 4
foot fall onto a grocery store linoleum floor (or any other hard surface
from a significant height) again! Wonder though if I also need to be
careful about how much pressure I apply to the stylus when writing? My
screen seems to pick everything up I write or draw, even when the pressure
is light, so perhaps this is not an issue.

Now, as to the question: Do I absolutely need to have a Newton Connection
Kit in order to transmit data from my Newt to my 6400/200, or is there some
way to do it via the infra-red port on my Mac? I am under the impression
that it isn't possible, since I believe the sole purpose of the infra-red
port on my Mac is for use with the remote control that I believe came with
the optional TV tuner card, but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone help on this
one? (And appologies in advance if that is a "dumb" question.) Thanks.

All the Best,

Chris

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html