Re: [NTLK] Proof of Robin being Katarina

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 18:37:42 EST

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 09:06 AM, Mark Ross wrote:

>> somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 11/29/02 4:40 PM, the
>> entity
>> known as David Orriss Jr transmitted the following from
>> dave_at_davenet.net:
>>

>>> Heck with Einstein, you could be the village idiot and still see
>>> that the
>>> emails came from the same computer. That's the nice thing about ip
>>> codes.
>>> They're like rabbit droppings all over the internet. It's even
>>> better in
>>> that nowadays machines always have the *same* IP code since so very
>>> often
>>> emails are sent from dedicated IP connections.
>>>

>> Not to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but since the
>> original was
>> through Comcast (i.e., cable modem), your "equal IPs means same
>> computer"
>> theory just ain't necessarily so. AFAIK, no Comcast user is
>> *guaranteed* to
>> get the same IP every time they reset or turn off their cable modem.
>> *IF*
>> the first person turned off their cable modem for any length of time,
>> the IP
>> number could've been freed up and recycled to someone else (namely
>> Katarina).
>>
>> - Eric.
>
> Just pursuing my internet education here, but wouldn't this be a
> vanishingly small probability? What are the odds that two people,
> discussing the same issue, would both be in NJ having the same IP
> address
> in the same time frame? As the Brits might say, "Not bloody likely"!
> This evidence may not be enough to convict, but it certainly seems
> sufficient to indite.

Actually there could also be other explanations... Say perhaps the IP
address actually is identifying the SMTP server and not the local IP...
Or as previously suggested, if a whole subnet is connected through a
NAT then they would all appear to be the same.

Or if an Email client hardcodes a certain IP address(this would be a
bug in my mind),

I don't know where those addresses come from, but I certainly wouldn't
convict anyone based on that...

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html