[NTLK] chicken and egg and broken stylus problems in Belgium!

From: Anner Tiete (anner_at_tiete.org)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 06:26:38 EDT

Hello list,

(long mail for the real problems, skip the 2 first paragrafs)

Like many others I recently got myself a MessagePad 2100 of the Belgian ebay
site (I am a Belgian you know :) ). The messagepad started to pop up on
ebay here, and I really needed to have one after checking how great it
really was. About a year ago I got hooked with apple and "switching" was
some of the best things I ever did regarding computer stuff... I allready
have a white ibook, an ipod and now a newton... Until then the only thing I
ever heard about newton was my dad saying ... Blablabla, great little
computer, cheap, for students ... Blabla (I think he was referring to the
eMate), but I didn't really notice because I was like 14 years old at the
time (I'm 19 now and a civil engineering student) and mostly busy trying to
get more conventional memory on my pc to get more games running (aah, where
are the times memmaker.exe etc!)
*sorry, got carried away here*

Anyway, I got a really good deal on ebay here, considering there is a much
lower quantity of newtons available here in europe and shipping rates
overseas are outragous.

This is what I got;

A near-mint near-new Messagepad 2100, it belonged to a doctor (it came with
a manual of a medical program developped here in belgium, manex, don't know
if it is allready on unaa.org, but if someone is interested, I still got the
manual and I can get in toutch with the original owner for the software)
In the orginal box, with screen protectors (3), battery cage, rechareble
battery, modem (option, gsm-ready 33.6), 4 mb flash card, 10 mb flash card,
lots of cables, a "newton serial cable for mac OS-based computers" (mini-din
to mini-din) new, still in plastic (this cable is for sale btw, contact me
off list!), a big manual in french, 3 orginal newton flashslot protectors
(if someone in europe/belgium really needs one I am willing to sell one!), a
piece of software ("the writestuff", toolset for newtonworks from landware,
software for terra firma) still in the box, with plastic around it! (I am
selling (read : you pay the shipping) this one to, maybe for the
collector?), I allso got a deluxe desktop stand and that is about it!
For the small price of 175 euro's / dollars.

(the problems and begging for solution starts here)

But attentive readers allready found out I am missing 2 key parts in my
setup !
Yes, I didn't get a charger / AC adaptor and I don't have a
dongle/interconnect thingie !

So, for the moment I am stuck with the basic newton , because I brainwiped
it when I got it, so no NIE on it... I do have an ethernet card here, but no
drivers...
And I still haven't got the chance to use my rechargable battery ! :(

What I ask towards the list is; is there someone in Belgium (near brussels)
who is willing to beam me some packages/drivers, so I can get my ethernet
working and "sync" with my iBook over ethernet (btw : me too, I am willing
to pay/waiting for a OS 10.2 sync option!).
Another options is; I send you one of my flash-cards and you send I back to
me full with all the goodies I need ...

I hope someone reacts to this...

Another big problem I encountered is ...
I dropped my stylus one day... Nothing happened, but when I wanted to write
with it the next day, the tip fell of, which sucked... I thought maybe my
dad could still glue it back on, so I put the newton, open, on our dinner
table, the stylus and tip nicely alligned on it, waiting for my dad to come
home. What happens; my dad comes home, sees my newton on the table ... Ooh
nice, hey, what is that, a piece of bread, better throw that away, my dirty
son, eating sandwiches above his new newton...
So that is the story how I lost my stylus tip...

Having no other stylus for the moment, I am quite helpless !
I really need another stylus, that will fit in my newton.
What are the options for me here in belgium.
Since I am a student, I am not keen on spending 15$+10$ shipping for a
pdapanache-stylus...
A eMate replacement stylus would even do... Where can I order them (I think
I'll take 10 or so then) without outragous shipping rates ?

Is there a source for styli in europe?
Anyone who can miss one ? (a original aluminium or a plastic emate one,
doesn't matter...) I still have a tipless one to trade :D

So that is about it , sorry for the big mail, but I have like, some serious
problems, hehe ..

Anyway, everyone, thanks for reading, and even more thanks for helping !

Anner