Re: [NTLK] fax/voice/cellular modems

From: Danny Zumwalt (dannyzumwalt_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 10:33:25 EDT

> That depends on which cell phone you have and what cables are
available
> for linking in to modems.
> You aren't going to get a connection much better than 4800 to 9600
(not
> counting modem-to-modem compression) with cellular.
> 3Com and Motorola made a number of modems that worked with cellphones,
> but finding cables can be the hard part.
> I use a Motorola Power 144 with a Motorola 650 phone. The modem and
> phone were made for each other so they work well. I also have one of the
> 3Com cellular modems, but I find it doesn't hold a connection as well in
> marginal areas.
>
> Peter

See, I have a Samsung N200 phone and I don't think there are cables out
there for such a use. But if anyone knows where I can get some, please let
me know!

Basically I want a modem just to dial up if needed when out with the
Newton.. But the cell phone ability sounded pretty good so I wanted more
details.. I guess I'll go with a USR 33.6 modem, since I don't think I'll
really be able to connect faster than that anyway.. most places I go are
only getting 28.8 or less on dial-up.. anyhooo..

Maybe I can find some cables for my cell phone.. anyone knows of any, please
let me know!

dz