Re: [NTLK] initial connection question

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 19:05:11 EDT

you have to load packages via serial. i assume you have a messagepad
2x00.

load nie 2 (which is available on unna at
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/) using one of
the connection utilities. on the mac, i find newton package installer
(also called npi) the most stable alternative. you can get the
connection utilities at
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/.

to accomplish the serial connection with a messagepad 2x00, you must
have an interconnect adapter and serial cable, or the ser-001 board and
a serial cable. you can use a usb-serial converter on the mac/pc side,
if you like.

once you load nie2, you then need to load drivers for an ethernet card
or wireless card. more information about this can be found at
http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/. make sure that you have a
supported card. the list is not large.

now you should be able to connect to your desktop over appletalk, which
is good if you have a mac, and not so good if you have a pc. you still
have to use npi or newton connection utilities (available for both mac
and pc) to load packages, etc.

you can then load nethopper, or whatever you want.

travis

On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 03:53 PM, Dede Johnson wrote:

>> Then, there won't be much you'll be able to test... Unless you have
>> something else on the back of your mind?
>
> I understand I need software on the Newton (Newton Connection
> Utilities, NetHopper, etc.) in order to connect to anything. The
> problem is that the software I need to connect is not installed on my
> Newton. So how do I get it there? A catch-22 of sorts.
> Thanks for your help.
> Dede J
> Maine
>

> --
> Read the Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

******
"The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except
genius." --Oscar Wilde