Re: [NTLK] Laserwriter II NT gripper problem - Was: Service Manual needed

From: Mark Janello (mjanello_at_newted.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 19:21:33 EDT

>From: "Blair Rosser" <newton_at_7thfloormedia.com>
>Subject: [NTLK] Laserwriter II NT gripper problem - Wes: Service Manual
>needed
>Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 07:51:37 -0700
>>
>I have a Laswerwriter II NT and the paper gripper has lost it's grip. Is
>this something I can get fixed or replace easily enough.

The paper intake roller can be replaced--it's not too hard though you have
to take the whole darn printer apart to get to it. Get the service manual
from one of the sources mentioned in the LWPro 810 thread. I recall seeing
it as a service part from theprinterworks.com and maybe other places too.

Or, there's the cheap way, which actually worked quite well for my old
LWIInt. Brake fluid. Get some regular old brake fluid (DOT 3 or 4--I
think later kinds like DOT 5 are some kind of synthetic that won't work).
Take out the paper tray and look in the back for the roller (it's a chunky
rubber thing right in the middle on the top), and using a Qtip smear the
brake fluid all over it. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then wipe it
off and print a few pages to make sure everthing is clean.

There are also 'rubber roller rejuvenation kits' I've heard about. Some of
them are chemical, some are actually sandpaper that scrapes the roller and
removes the shiny hard glaze that forms there.

There are still an amazing number of these printers still in service, and
I'm pretty sure that all the LWIIs (from NT to the later 'g' ethernet
models) have exactly the same body parts. I found a IIg in a dumpster
(somebody dropped it and cracked it in half), stuck the motherboard in my
old NT and had a much better printer!

Mark