[NTLK] emate hinges and cable puncture

From: Simon Muller (smullers_at_xs4all.nl)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 18:58:54 EDT

Today I got my first emate, one with the perforated cable syndrom, over
the mail.
Remembering Joel Sciamma's repair tips (http://www.inventors-
emporium.co.uk/pages/newton.html), I made the cable repair and put
washers on the hinge spring screws.
I had both hinges with one short leg. I put the emate together and
Bingo, there it was, working fine.
So far thanks for the tips, Joel!
After enjoying my first emate for an hour or so, I closed the lid and
opened it again. I heard a short loud snap and the lids resistance was
suddenly low again. Thinking of my precious repaired flatcable, I
dismantled the thing to see what had happened.
I found one hinge spring leg was loose again, but this time the other
(long) leg. So now I had 2 short legs on one hinge!
There are no traces of breaking on the legs. This gave me an idea on how
the legs could get short: Over time the spring rolls-up on the axis of
the screen-lid.( Caused by lack of grease and wear on the axis?)
So not a production fault, some emate are suffering from, but something
that can happen to all emates over time.

Tomorrow I'll try to bend the springs back and grease the things. See if
it helps..

Simon.