[NTLK] 2k battery and memory effect

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 17:42:23 EDT

>Does the battery in the 2k Newton suffer from memory
>effect, so it is necessary to completely discharge it
>before a recharge?

This is a somewhat philosopical question. The packs in the
2000 / 2100 / emate models consist of NiMH cells which
are not *supposed* to have any memory effect. Unless,
of course, you happen to look this up in a book that says
they do still have one, but to a much lesser extent.
Fact is that these cells, like all other rechargeable cells,
have a limited number of charge / discharge cycles. Again,
depending on which book you are currently reading you
will find different opinions on whether charging a pack from
half-full to full counts as a complete cycle or not.
If I were you, I would try to discharge the pack as much as
possible (until the Newton turns off) before recharging. But
I wouldn't worry if I had to charge it earlier than that
sometimes.

Frank

-- Newton Hardware and Software at http://www.pda-soft.de