[NTLK] Re - Hello and a battery pack query

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 18:59:43 EDT

>I seem to recall there being a NiHM trick in OS 2.0. Am I
hallucinating?
>I'd really like to recharge my MP130 on NiHMs instead of my
old NiCd
>battery packs.

>Yes, thanks! I have an old, dead pack that I'm planning on
stripping for
>the guides. I'm curious about the charging and life of
NiHM, though. I have
>the desk charger. Does it know when NiHMs are used?

Neither Newtons nor the charging station will know when you
use
anything different from what they expect. Every older model
up to
and including
the MP130 expects NiCad, MP2x00 and eMate expect NiMH.
Although some people on this list have done this without
problems,
I wouldn't recommend using any rechargeables other than what
the
charge circuitry will reliably handle. In your case that'd
be NiCad.
You can trick your Newton (and also the charging station)
into
believing an original Apple pack is installed by putting a
piece of
cardboard beneath standard NiCad cells that keeps the switch
in
the battery compartment down.
Not sure what you mean by "the guides", if you need a guide
that
shows how to refurbish 1x0 packs, have a look here (note
that
what looks like a space if this link is underlined is in
fact a "_"):

http://www.pda-soft.de/mp_1x0_battery_pack.html

Frank

-- Newton Hardware and Software at http://www.pda-soft.de