Re: [NTLK] Folders. Folders?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 16:25:23 EDT

on 10/7/02 8:38 PM, Doug Parker at dougparker_at_progressdata.com wrote:

> I can't seem to find a way to create new folders in the extras drawer to
> organize things. It seems as though some of the applications see some
> folders which others can't, and it doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> I created a test spreadsheet in NewtWorks, filed it in my personal folder,
> closed NewtWorks, opened Notepad and couldn't find it anywhere in my
> personal folder. That makes sense, since Notepad isn't going to know what to
> do with it anyway. Then I went back into NewtWorks and the spreadsheet was
> there, but I never did a File--Open to open it, it was just *there*. I must
> be using an incorrect model for the way the data is being stored.

Do you mean there was no "personal" folder, or no spreadsheet within the
"personal" folder inside Notes? There is a difference. :-) But yes, the
Newton does use a different model for how data is stored and used. Don't
think in the "desktop" computer mode. The Newton is designed to give instant
access to data, and avoid a desktop metaphor. For instance, opening Notes or
Works automatically takes you to the last item you were working on. In fact,
even Notes and Works use two different models.

In Notes, think of a long roll of paper. Each note on that roll of paper is
separated from those before and after it by drawing a line across the paper.
In the Newton, that line also has the date and time the note was created, as
well as a potential title. In fact, you can create a new note by drawing a
horizontal line across the screen. If you do it straight enough, you will
make a new note. :-) So the note app is sometimes called the paper roll.

The Works app, on the other hand, deals with documents, and even documents
of different types (paper, spreadsheet, graphic calculator, database, etc.)
The default is to view the last document opened. However, you can view the
overview of what files belong to Works by tapping the overview button
(sometimes called the belly button). That will open the "Overview" view,
which lists the Works apps, probably by date (but I don't remember.) To go
to a document, tap the item and it will open.

So, each app can only view files or items that belong to it. In fact most
apps support the overview view by tapping the overview button. Notes is one
of those, as is...

> I'd like a list view in the Extras drawer, instead of the icon view, which
> would take up less real estate too. Am I dreaming?

The Extras drawer. :-) To see a list, as somebody else has mentioned, tap
the overview button, and Bob's your uncle.

> Is there any way to make the icon bar tiny--get rid of the icons, leave the
> text, etc.? I thought there was something for this, but I can't find it now.

I use TapBar by ICS software. At the moment, I can't find their url, but
searching on Google for Tapbar, or even NewtCase should get you the proper
url. It reduces the spacing between icons, and can even make smaller icons.
I've done both to crowd up my button bar full with everything I use on a
daily basis. :-) HTH

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams