Re: [NTLK] serial connection via NIE?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 21:37:55 EDT

eric engle wrote:
> I am simply trying to connect my newton to my desktop
> via serial using NIE and simplemail - I wish to mail a
> palmbook to my newton and this seems the only way to
> do that.

So you want to use your Desktop as a conduit to send mail over the Internet?
Right? To do that under Windows, you'd need Windows to listen for a "dial-up"
connection on a serial port, and then plug your Newton directly into that
serial port and make a PPP connection. You'd also need some kind of Internet
connection sharing software - Win98SE and higher come with one built-in.

> It would be nice to be able to directly mail a note
> via my desktop to whoever. But my main objective is to
> be able to download palmbooks.
>
> My desktop apparently uses a SiS 900 ethernet card. My
> newton has no ethernet card. So I presume I must
> connect via serial.

Yep.

> The error message I get is
> "None of your e-mail accounts are enabled"
> (an exact quote).

I'll ask again, do you have an e-mail address entered into your personal card
in Owner's Info? Is there a SimpleMail setup there as well? If you happen to
have more than one owner's card, is the right one active?