Re: [NTLK] 'Genius bar'

From: Rolando Agado (TTC F.H.) (ragado_at_ttcautomotive.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 09:04:40 EDT

Glen wondered:

So, what questions did you have?

I've been having some network problems with my eMate lately.... I have no
trouble exchanging files through a serial cable to my LC 580, but I haven't
had any luck getting it to talk through the ethernet card.

I went through the FAQ sheet last nite... and I have a funny feeling that my
3Com card is dead. :( I just gave it to my IT department to confirm it's
non-working status.... but haven't been given the final word.

"... and what article did you read to prompt you to buy an eMate?"

Well... it first started with a great article on wired.com about Newton
communities. They discussed how many people still used their Newton
(primarily 2100's) still.... so I decided to look into one. I ran across
a picture of the eMate and was drawn into it by it's design. I remember
them vividly when they first came out... but never went out of my to
purchase one at that time.

Anyhoo.... I was thinking about purchasing an iBook, but couldn't justify
the purchase for writing term papers & music reviews for a webzine I
scribble for.

I considered getting a PDA and roll out keyboard.... but that too seemed
really silly. I remembered the eMate having a built in keyboard... so I did
a little research. A mini-review in Rolling Stone (yes... rolling stone of
all places) discussing *must have gadgets* sold me on the idea.

Found one on eBay and I was ready to rawk! (or so I thought)

After a couple of days of playing with my eMate... I managed to erase my
internal memory. Luckily the person I purchased the eMate from enclosed the
necessary drivers incase this sort of thing happened.

Well... I couldn't get the eMate to talk to our iMac because I lost the
3Com ethernet drivers. So I found a LC 580 (with serial ports) for $15 and
brought that bad boy in to install the goods back on my eMate.

I'm still having little luck getting the eMate to talk to our PC or iMac at
home, but I suspect that the card is dead.

I did however find a ethernet card for the LC 580 and I have it networked
with the other computers at home....

I'm currently looking at purchasing a new Farallon card for my eMate... I
hope that by doing so, I can avoid having to use 2 or 3 computers to bring a
text file to life.

.mCr.