Re: [NTLK] I vant AvantGo!

From: Steve Vander Ark (vderark_at_bccs.org)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 11:48:51 EDT

It used to be possible. I am not familiar with the current software, but
originally all AvantGo did was direct the browser to a PDA-friendly
version of a site. You could rather easily pull the URL for any
particular site off of the AvantGo website. At a certain point, they
changed their websiteand software so you never saw the URL, which meant
that you had to install their software to access the address, even
though it was still simply a PDA-friendly version of a site with a
perfectly usable URL. I subscribed and even took the step of trying to
set up my own AvantGo page--they had quite nice users' guide for doing
it, and it was all on the web site's end of things to create a page with
the appropriate dimensions and low-bandwidth text and graphics. There
was no standard format for the URL, however, so there was no way to
guess the address.

When they switched over, I wrote a lot of emails to sites and to AvantGo
begging them to make their PDA-friendly site addresses public for the
rest of us, but they didn't want to do that. AvantGo wanted to control
the access, and I guess that makes sense from a business standpoint. I
pointed out to the sites that if they'd make those addresses public,
they would generate even more hits, but I think maybe they were locked
into AvantGo's contract and didn't have that choice.

Like I said, this may no longer be the case. Maybe they've changed their
software to actually dynamically change a site's content, but it
certainly wasn't that way a couple of years ago. And if the arrangement
is the same as it was then, all we need to do is find out the URLs of
the PDA-friendly sites and put them into NewtCase and we'd have the same
thing as AvantGo.

Only on a cooler PDA...

Steve