Re: [NTLK] NYCnug%26In-Reply-To%.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 17:28:27 EDT

Hello Peter,

Here's what happened over here in Los Angeles...

=2E..due to other announcements on NTLK of meetings of Newton users, I =
decided to arrange an impromtu meeting for LA. We had seven that night, =
just a few hours of discussing whatever we wanted about our little green =
friends and beaming over each other since we had up to six Newts. aimed at =
each other. We decided to meet again the next month, then it went to =
twice a month, now it's once or twice due to a need to earn a living. The =
most we had was 18 plus 3 walk-in's(WHAT? A Newton Meeting?). It took us =
a while to have our current list of 50+ members, but our meetings average =
6-12. We, the members, enjoy getting 'The Newton Experience' and sharing =
what is possible. In fact I wanted to meet in a casual setting, no =
pressure, no <Group-thing>, but the members get so much out of the Newt. =
that they pushed for the 'Recognized Group-thing', for which I am grateful =
for.
When Phil Goodman heard about this, he sent me an email stating how it =
sounded great that somebody was going to 'renew' a Newton Users Group. He =
was the originator of the very first LANUG, I was floored. He was busy =
with his main line of work and running LAPUG(Los Angeles Portable Users =
Group) but he not only came to a couple of our meetings, he hosted the =
'first LAPUG-LANUG Meeting'! Best part, he MC'ed the whole meeting. A =
LaNUG member said 'WOW! It was like a regular LANUG meeting, he showed =
what the Newton could and still do, what new stuff it could do, and how it =
still generates 'new users'.
I thought maybe a sub-division of LAPUG would be best, but meeting times =
were off and so much users didn't know were/are the focus of the meetings, =
no time for other stuff. We still meet seperate of LAPUG, but as soon as =
John A. finishes his 'un-named OS X-NS sync.', we will have to provide =
updates at LAPUG's meetings and concentrate on main issues at LaNUG =
meetings.
Peter F. has some good points and the experience, but starting with a =
small impromtu group works best. In the future who knows, maybe a =
combined group, maybe not, but the users want a Newton-centric group for =
now.

BTW, I just restored 31 megs. of info. and pkgs. onto a 64 meg. ATA =
Compactflash card thru SBM Utilities Restore function. 25 megs. available =
space, 207 kb. heap, what to do next, what to do next... :-)

=2E..thanks Paul G.(ever going to shrink the interface's space =
requirements?)
>Peter M. Fine
>President, New York City Digital Assistant Users' Group (NYCDAUG)
>The PDA-centric User Group for all of you.

!ooW
Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group.