Re: [NTLK] [INFO] Recent E-Mail Viruses

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 07:29:54 EDT

Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:

(*snip*)

> They also happen to be very good at spoofing e-mail addresses.

Heh. As an experiment, I created a message, changed the 'From'
address to an old one from a now (un)dead ISP, ricochet.net and sent
it to myself. Went right through with no problems (this does explain
some of the weird spam I've received in the past from that same
address -- mine, at ricochet.net).

(*snip*)

> If you are running Windows on your computer and receiving e-mail to
it, you
> should protect yourself by:
>
> - employing a virus scanner that automatically updates its virus
definitions,
> as well as scans your incoming e-mail before it is delivered to your
inbox.
> Two popular products are Norton Antivirus by Symantec, and McAfee
VirusScan,
> by NAI.
>
> - not opening any attachments if you do not expect to receive them.
>
> - if you use Microsoft Outlook 98 or 2000, install the Outlook E-Mail
> Security
> update from Microsoft:
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2000/Out2ksecFAQ.aspx
> (this update is already included in Outlook 2002 and Outlook XP)

I think John "Disinfectant" Norstad said it best in his 'farewell,
Mac community!' speech a few years back:

" ...it's not 'the Word 6 Macro virus', it's 'the Word 6 and Excel 5
macro viruses' (plural). Last I heard, there were over 250 of them.
There's a really simple cure for all of them - don't use Microsoft
products."
--John Norstad, author of 'Disinfectant'

--gdw