[NTLK] Wireless Connection

From: Walter Remson (w.remson_at_att.net)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 17:43:31 EDT

Hello All

I would like to let everyone know that I have been able to connect my MP
2100 to the Internet using a "Bronze Wavelan" wireless ethernet card. There
are many free wireless internet locations here in Austin, Tx. I do not have
a Airport wireless router to use so I just go to one of the local coffee
shops (Flightpath) and instant connection. Wow, this is great and best of
all it's faster than using any modem connection. The specific details are
as follows:

MP 2100 with all the required files for Ethernet connection using a 3com
card. It woudld appear that many readers forget to add the Farallon driver
with the 3 com drviers to their Newton. Anyway all I had to do is add the
driver for the Wavelan cards.

Lucent Bronze Wavelan/IEEE wireless ethernet card. It is important to not
get the Bronze "Turbo or Pro" Wavelan/IEEE card because it uses a special
Lucent setup to get the higher tranfer rates.

Wavelan Setup Menu
        mode - infrastucture
        channel - 1
        WEP Key - string
        use WEP - "checked"

Wavelan Advanced Settings
        Use roaming - "checked"
        Enable power management - "NOT checked"

Newton Internet Enabler (NIE) Setup
        Configuration - DCHP Server
        Card - Lucent Wavelan/IEEE
        Domain - <None>
        When closing - disconnect after 2 minutes

I hope this help others that are trying to connect wireless.

Walter Remson
w.remson_at_att.net