Re: [NTLK] 2x00 ROM image capture?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 11:53:38 EDT

À (At) 11:20 -0500 14/10/02, Shane Hunter écrivait (wrote) :
>Cool! Thanks. BTW, I absolutely LOVE this list!

Heh. I love this list as well.

À (At) 11:02 -0400 14/10/02, Laurent Daudelin écrivait (wrote) :
>Don't know but I think that Paul Guyot had already a few ROM images on his
>website at <http://www.kallisys.com/newton/>.

Not really.

Depends on what you're looking for.
If it's just the code as it, I suggest getting so-called ROM Images on UNNA.
http://www.unna.org/unna/development/Debugger_Images/

Check the Read me.

Now, if what you want is an actual image of the ROM on your Newton,
I've developed tools but the easiest is Hammer. Get the Debugger
images, get Hammer (not sure if it's in NewtonDev, but it's in
Lantern DDK
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/development/DDKs/FullLanternDDK.sit).
Then connect your MP2x00. In Hammer's File menu, you have Save
Memory. Choose that. Save memory between 0x00000000 and 0x00800000.
Or save memory between 0x00800000 and 0x01000000. This is the same
because of the way the ROM card is built. However, the first range
isn't entirely accessible in user mode (but with Hammer, you grab it
in supervisor mode, so it's not a problem).

Afterwards, you'll want to disassemble it (well, I guess). Check your
local legislation about the right of doing so.
I suggest Hammer if you want a specific function (you need to connect
the Newton, though), or Rough Disarm if you want to dump everything.
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/Bowels/

Please note that the whole thing is mapped at 0x00000000 but most of
it is also mapped at other places (like jump tables and so on).

Anyway. Have fun. I still have no idea why you want the ROM Image of
the Newton.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/