Re: [NTLK] 2x00 ROM image capture?

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 22:32:03 EDT

* Jeff Sheldon <jeff_at_jurai.net> on Mon, 14 Oct 2002
| I'm sure the ever-lovable DMCA makes this a no-brainer in the US, but
| do any other Americans know of laws that would prohibit this?

Reverse engineering is in fact allowed and -supported- by United States
law, to foster and promote competition and innovation. "Clone" PC
manufacturers like Compaq got their start that way. US courts ruled in
favor of the clone makers so long as they did not violate either patent or
copyright. It works like this: A examines the original thingie in minute
detail and documents how everything works. B designs a new thingie, using
the documentation as a guide but without ever seeing the original thingie.
Any end-user license agreement that prohibits examination or disassembly of
device or code contradicts US law.

The DMCA also contradicts existing US law and court rulings in this regard.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \