Re: [NTLK] Linksys WAP and classic Appletalk- issues?

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 12:58:54 EDT

linksys waps do not support appletalk at all. they do support appletalk
over ip, but will not work with newtons, as they require 'regular'
appletalk, and even a subset of that, appletalk adsp.

smc waps seems to not support appletalk adsp between the wireless and
wired side. you can still sync or install packages as long as both the
newt and computer are wireless, or wired. i believe dlink waps are the
same.

with other access points your milage may vary.

ttm

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 03:53 AM, Brian wrote:

> Postings on another list recently (emphatically) said that Linksys
> WAPs,
> while they support classic Appletalk (like our Newtons use, as opposed
> TCP/IP-based AppleshareIP) on the LAN-side ethernet ports, did NOT
> support
> it over the 802.11b.
>
> Can anyone here state otherwise? I thought that some of the people
> installing packages etc. were doing so with Linksys routers and
> wireless;
> which would have to be using Appletalk on the Newton if you're using
> NCU
> and Macs (right?).
>
> So, in regards to the earlier thread about Linksys vs. E-Tech a bit
> ago;
> maybe the current Linksys WAP models don't support Appletalk over the
> 802.11b but older ones did? If you have one and it works, which
> model is
> it?
>
> It's hard to tell from tech specs on their pages; I went with Netgear
> MR314
> as it had reviews stating it was definitely capable of classic
> Appletalk on
> the LAN and wireless sides (and if I turn off NAT it will route the
> appletalk from LAN to WAN side if I want).
>
> If true this would be a reason to get a different model of WAP, if your
> home network would involve macs.

> --
> ...we parted each feeling
> superior to the other and is not that
> feeling after all one of the great
> desiderata of social intercourse
> -archy
>

> --
> Read the Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

******
"I would expect rats in Berkeley to be fairly bold, possibly even
evolved enough to ask for spare change or protest U.S. military
action..." -- Chris Livingston http://www.notmydesk.com/