[NTLK] Bringing back a dead battery pack

From: Vernon LeMoignan (greenguy_at_oanet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 10:39:41 EDT

I recently bought a 2100 on ebay as a backup.

when it arrived the battery pack was dead and the Newton wouldn't
charge it. I've worked repairing
computers for a long time and had seen similar problems with laptops
before, were the battery voltage
was so low that the charging circuitry wouldn't see the battery, and as
a result wouldn't charge it.

So since it was dead anyway I grabbed my power supply set it to about 6
or 7 volts and connected it ( + to +, - to - )
  to the battery for a few seconds. Effectively manually charging the
battery. The battery's voltage jumped from
about 2.5V to 3.5V. I tried it again and got it close to 4 volts.

I inserted it in the Newt and it immediately started charging it. I've
been using it intermittently for the
last few weeks with no problems at all! Works just as well as my
original pack.

This likely won't help a battery that was working and suddenly died, or
one that the newton is already trying to charge.
However for a battery that may have been sitting a while and isn't
charging at all, this could help.

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else.

Vern.