Re: [NTLK] two quick Newton questions

From: Daniel Ridge (dskr_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 16:37:47 EDT

On Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002, at 01:14PM, Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com> wrote:

>On 22/10/02 15:52, "Daniel Ridge" <dskr_at_mac.com> wrote:
>

>I guess I was not clear enough: no, AFAIK, nobody has
>written/built/manufactured/fabricated/engineered anything that could
>resemble or be more or less closely related to an USB and/or FireWire
>adapter/card/driver/whatever. If you're sticking a USB or FireWire PCMCIA
>card in your Newton, and if the Newton doesn't have any driver that claims
>to recognize that card, the card won't be used and power will be cut off.
>Now, suppose that there was a driver, I highly doubt that the PCMCIA
>circuitry in the Newton would be able to provide enough power to recharge
>any external device. However, I'm not a hardware engineer, so I could

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not interested in sticking anything into the PCMCIA slots
of my Newton MessagePad. I'm interested in using a small DC-DC power suppply to take +5V from the USB and supply +7.5V into the Newton charging jack.

Although the USB port provides only 100mA without negotiation, I would be perfectly happy with a trickle charge.

Can anyone recommend a small solid-state Dc-DC chip for use with the Newton?

Thanks,
    Dan Ridge