[NTLK] re OT G3 ?

From: Daniel Jagendorf (bufoamer_at_nyct.net)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 01:39:04 EDT

> OK all you mac guys i have a question. what is the highest os that a
> mac g3
> can handle? a friend is thinkin of upgradin and wants to know where to
> spend the money.

If it's a beige G3, it *should* be able to run OS X, but your friend may
want to upgrade it with a much bigger HD (but being careful to
partition it
to have a first partition of less than 8GB -- there's some weird
interaction
between the now-5-year-old IDE controller and OS X), possibly add an
ATA66
or ATA100 card, a boatload of RAM, and probably a Firewire/USB card.
Also
they might want to pick up a video card more modern than the built-in
video.
Having given such a horrible litany of upgrades, OS X, as I said,
should run
on the stock model assuming sufficient RAM (128 MB or better). But the
performance may not be all that great. Of course, these add-ons can be
spread out over time... Personally, I think Apple would've rather
ditched
support for the beige G3's, but there were a lot of them out there and
they
*did* say "compatible w/ any Mac that originally shipped w/ a G3." The
feeling I get is that the support for the beige G3 really only benefits
those that have been gradually upgrading their machine all along. To
buy a
beige G3 now, unless it has many of these upgrades already present,
probably
doesn't make much sense. For a little bit more you can pick up a blue &
white G3.

A blue & white G3 should have absolutely no problem with OS X. As
always,
too much is never enough when it comes to RAM.

NOTE: I'm still firmly in the past with my PowerComputing clone and 7600
(and several Duos). I'm simply giving you what I've gleaned by paying
attention to various Mac sites and discussions.

- Eric.

All of which would be me, plus an Encore Zif G4 500 card.
It works fine, though the 9.2.2 partition is noticeably faster than X.
That said, I really prefer working in X these days (grows on you like
fungus, etc.).
Oh for the day I can afford a dual chip G4 (I think I only need more
Ram from now on).
DanJ